Monday, June 05, 2006

Walkabout




The warm weather is definitely here, so what low level of posting you've seen out of me here and on Right Wing of the Gods will be dropping to zero until the cold weather returns. To continue the honesty, directed toward an audience I'm not sure I have, the volume after the cold weather returns is going to be low.

The Internet has eaten up a lot of my time, at the expense of other things of far greater importance (such as my research) and outside of a few very small corners, seldom been a source of anything other than aggravation for me. Back during the 90s, the default world was a lot like that too, for me and so many others. Times have changed, or maybe I've changed. A truism - I'm ten years older now than I was ten years ago, and that's bound to affect the way I get treated. Either way, the world outdoors is looking friendlier from my vantage point and that's where life gets lived.

What really killed my ambition in this area was checking out the site stats for Right Wing of the Gods. RWOTG has been a relatively successful blog and deservedly so. No, I'm not patting my own back. That blog is mostly Dan's work; I'm a latecomer. But, at the cusp of "Large Mammmal" status, making it one of the more heavily visited blogs, it averages seven visits per day. One can easily do better than this at an open mike. What this tells me is that there is little potential for growth in this area, and little point to making an effort.

There are too many blogs chasing too few potential readers, and the problem is much the same with the Web in general, I think. In the old days, a lot of us saw the Internet as being a good, cheap way to get information out to those who wanted it, and who didn't form a big enough demographic pool to be of interest to publishers, but now? Maybe zines will make a comeback. One can't very well take one's monitor under a tree on a sunny June day, can one?

Enjoy your summer.


No comments: